Punk Rock America

Country? Rap? Jazz? Christian? Whatever your favorite music or musician talk about them here.

Punk Rock America

Postby cmptch » Sat 2006 Jun 10 8:24

So I'm into punk rock. I believe that there's another member of this Forum who share the same sympathies as I.
(I've been told lately that I'm a poser, although I don't think that that can be true. So what if I've replaced the mohawk with a clean cut, plaid pants with kakhis, and a misfits shirt with a Polo.)

Anyway, I was thinking lately: "This forum is getting kinda slow." so I thought I would try to strike up some conversation.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Re: Punk Rock America

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Jun 10 9:16

cmptch wrote:... "This forum is getting kinda slow." so I thought I would try to strike up some conversation.

Ok, what is a poser?

BTW, the main reason the forum is slow is that I haven't started classes yet. Monday will be the first day and a week or two after that will be my students first post.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Sat 2006 Jun 10 9:32

a poser in the punk realm is a person who pretends (poses)to be a punk.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Re: Punk Rock America

Postby Luke » Sun 2006 Jun 11 5:03

Spock wrote:Ok, what is a poser?

Traditionally cities that had a punk scene had a core group of punks, usually including several bands. Around this were more casual fringe members of the scene, often these were called posers by the inner core as they usually didn't subscribe to all the ideals of the core ie anarcho-punk, DIY lifestyle, dress code etc. I suppose this changed a bit with the skate scene revival in the 90's. Not that I was around for any of this :(

cmptch wrote:
I believe that there's another member of this Forum who share the same sympathies as I.

There certainly is. Ben! not really, I've been trying to convert him for a long time... a little ska is all he'll take. I am a bit too young too appreciate real punk rock I think, and I am definitely a poser. Although with all this emo going about, I have been called a punk occasionally, sad times.

cmptch wrote:...I've replaced the mohawk with a clean cut...

Hmm... well I was about to get a mohawk...
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 Jun 12 7:38

luke, I believe that your description of a poser is far better than mine. It's hard to get me to listen to punk now, too. I like alot of the older stuff, but some of these new bands just have no talent. Not that they can't play...they just can't seem to write. Then they added these sub-genres, like pop-punk, hardcore-punk, emo, screamo, etc, etc, etc.

What sometimes gets me is the Brittish accent in punk. No offense to the actual Brittish bands out there, but come on people. Anarchy in the U.K. does not translate into Anarchy in the U.S.A.. I've seen kids wearing "God Save The Queen" patches who don't even know that it's Queen Elizabeth II who they are trying to save.

I've just decided that if you're going to sing with a Brittish accent, then you have to say "aluminium" not "aluminum". Also, use "-ise" instead if "-ize", even though the Oxford-English Dictionary prefers the latter.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Luke » Mon 2006 Jun 12 1:38

What do you class as older stuff? For me older is like 10 years ago! :? I recently bought Wolves in Wolves clothing, I don't think it was as bad as the reviews made out. I was also impressed with Resolve by Lagwagon last year, so there are still some bands at the poppier end of the spectrum writing good music. But listening to the Fat Wreck sampler there's nothing really that should be on a punk label.

Speaking as a "brit", theres so much patriotism here, especially with the world cup on, if anyone wore a "God save the Queen" patch, they would probably just be mistaken as overly nationalistic! But is this the reason punk is fading? A culture that promoted non-conformity, but ended up conforming to itself?

I can't say I've noticed bands faking a "british" accent, but then I probably wouldn't, having one myself. Is it something to do with the fact that pretty much any singer puts on an american accent, but british punk bands make a point not to?
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 Jun 12 7:12

I'd classify "older" as the 70' and 80's. Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Bad Religion, Violent Femmes, Misfts.

But is this the reason punk is fading? A culture that promoted non-conformity, but ended up conforming to itself?

It happens to all non-conformity movements. It slowly becomes social acceptable, and becomes a part of society. It's like the counter-culture movement of the 60's. Long hair is not just for "hippies" anymore.

I can't say I've noticed bands faking a "british" accent, but then I probably wouldn't, having one myself.

It's actually quite subtle. And I've pretty much only heard the local bands do the accent. Southerners don't notice the mild accent I pick up while I'm in the south, so it would make sense if you'd not notice it.

I think you'd agree that americans shouldn't do British accents.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Jun 12 9:36

Actually, my wife is British. When we first met, I was on a weird British accent kick and she thought for the longest time I was from Wales. :oops:

When we started getting serious, that was the first thing I confessed to. :|
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby punkin8tor » Thu 2006 Jun 15 7:50

I would have to say that I enjoy some of the music by the punk groups in the 80's. But I have a more ecclectic taste in music... So I guess -- while listening to punk rock -- I would be a poser?

My hubby really enjoys 80's music. Also, we are raising our children to be good 80's music lovers! :D
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I'm not so sure about the former." Albert Einstein.
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Sat 2006 Jun 17 4:40

Yeah there aren't really any punk bands from 70's/80's still around... I think Social Distortion carried on until a couple of years ago. Suicidal Tendencies might still be about. As for Americans doing accents, I've never heard an American do an English accent. Though they seem to do a sort of vaguely South African accent and call it "British" }:->.

Punkin8or, you're no poser, your hardcore! :lol: everyone should enjoy punk rock! Posers are people who call themselves punks... although at the moment in England its quite "scene" to wear Misfits or Ramones tshirts, even when the wearer has obviously never heard them.
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 Jun 18 3:35

Luke wrote:Yeah there aren't really any punk bands from 70's/80's still around...

Bad Religion and NOFX are both from the 80's.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Luke » Mon 2006 Jun 19 5:59

Yeah like I said, "Wolves" is a fairly decent album. What would you say is the best NOFX album? I'd forgot about Bad Religion. Also Dickies have been around since about '79.
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 Jun 19 6:48

NOFX has a few good albums, I think my favorite would be punk in drublic. I haven't heard "wolves" yet. I have never been too keen on following bands, I have always had other computer related things to do...yes, my life revolves around computers.

So do you listen to the Misfits? I noticed that you had mentioned them in an earlier post. I very much like the Misfits. Not the "New Misfits", mind you, the Old guys, with Danzig.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Luke » Sat 2006 Jun 24 6:43

I'm ashamed to say I'm not sure if I've heard the original Misfits. I had heard that I wouldn't like them, so I listened and thought "actually they're not bad", then found out that it was stuff by the "revived" Misfits. I think they played live with Danzig recently though. What would you recommend for a philistine like me?
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby cmptch » Fri 2006 Jun 30 9:41

I'm going to Cornerstone Festival this year as a spectator so I will be able to go see the bands. Last year was the first year I went. Unfortunately last year I was wrangled as a Sound Engineer(Yes, in addition to being a computer tech, I am also a sound engineer), and wasn't able to go see a lot of the bands. Mostly because I running sound for "Late Night Worship on the Beach stage" made waking up hard to do.

For those who don't know, Cornerstone Festival http://www.cornerstonefestival.com/ is a 4 day Christian Music Festival that brings in all styles of Christian Music. They do one in Illinois, and one in Florida. The latter is shorter than the other.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Luke » Wed 2006 Jul 12 6:50

Any good Christian punk bands? What happened to bands like Officer Negative.. oh were the Dingees there? I really like the Dingees.
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Uhura » Fri 2006 Aug 11 9:57

I didn't even realize that there were any Christian punk bands!!! Stryper was about as far out as I got as a teen, but Stryper is really a heavy metal group. I also liked INXS and Pink Floyd but I am guessing these are considered alternative? The Ramones sound familiar--but I don't remember specific tunes...I guess I wuold be a poser too!
Sometimes you feel like a nut
Uhura
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Music