What is a BLOG?

Post information and/or questions here that are Internet or Network related but have no better place to go yet.

What is a BLOG?

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Sep 16 5:45

I was cleaning out my Private Messages to make room for more and came across one from WaltS that had an intreguing link to a site that offers free BLOGs.

It was my understanding that BLOG was a derivative of Web log.

From the Webopedia definition:
(n.) Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

(v.) To author a Web log.

Other forms: Blogger (a person who blogs).

From their Take a Quick Tour link, the definition of a BLOG is:
What's a blog?
A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

Your blog is whatever you want it to be. There are millions of them, in all shapes and sizes, and there are no real rules.

In simple terms, a blog is a web site, where you write stuff on an ongoing basis. New stuff shows up at the top, so your visitors can read what's new. Then they comment on it or link to it or email you. Or not.

Since Blogger was launched, almost five years ago, blogs have reshaped the web, impacted politics, shaken up journalism, and enabled millions of people to have a voice and connect with others.

And we're pretty sure the whole deal is just getting started.

This site is not associated with PCTalk.info in any way, I have not explored it very much and cannot vouch for its safety, but it is part of WaltS legacy that he has left us with. Barring him returning, this seems to be one way I can keep his memory alive. A small thing for a fellow Vet.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: What is a BLOG?

Postby csar508 » Wed 2007 Oct 31 3:13

My wife uses a free blog service called blogspot.com
csar508
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Postby Spock » Wed 2007 Oct 31 5:48

I started using WordPress for a while but have found that I don't have enough to say and/or enough time to post any comments to it. :dunno:

You can get your own copy to run on your server from WordPress.org or run your own blog from their website at WordPress.com
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Mon 2007 Nov 05 11:57

I use "my space" for a bit of blogging although I use caution on the site due to undesirable material running rampant on the site. I use it Only for family, friends…and I have met a few people I have things in common with.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2007 Nov 05 3:36

Icy wrote:... I have met a few people I have things in common with.

Peculiar that. I've yet to meet another Vulcan online. :dunno:
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General Internet and Networking