E-mail Advertisements.

Post information and/or questions here that are Internet or Network related but have no better place to go yet.

Do you think it will work?

Poll ended at Wed 2006 Jun 21 11:12

Yes
No votes
Somewhat
50%
No Way DUde!
50%

Total votes : 4

E-mail Advertisements.

Postby cmptch » Tue 2006 Jun 06 10:10

About 2 years ago I embarked on an experiment. I have been submitting an e-mail address to as many websites (advertisement related) as possible, while maintaining my personal security.

For the past two weeks, my E-mail address has reached more companies than I would want to count. The e-mail host does not filter ligitimate advertising. I've been getting roughly 50 e-mails a day. My experiment is about to pay off.

Yesterday began to unsubscribe to all these unwanted programs. I am not keeping an accurate count, but I have unsubscribed about 100 e-mails. They all pretty much told me it would take 10 days to delete my address. Today I have recieved 5 e-mails.

I don't expect to completely kill all the advertisements, however, I do expect to reduce them significantly.

I certainly hope this works, so that I can begin to reuse my oldest and favorite e-mail address.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Repr » Wed 2006 Jun 07 1:43

in the old days (not as long ago as it sounds) i used to subscribe to things that seemed interesting and started to recieve more and more junkmail from all kind of stuff. after 2 years this is the picture

i unsubscribe on regular bases. this is about every 2 months. when im done i get about 2-3 junk mail each day. in 2 months time this goes up to 10-20, the moment where i start to unsubscribe again. and then all over again. once you start you need a very good junk mail filter, one that blocks junk but doesnt delete or block mail you actually do want. this is nearly impossible, becouse some subscriptions i made are still ones that i want, but are blocked anyway.

will i ever get get rid of all junk? not a chance. 1 junkmail subscribes you to another and another and another, untill there is no way you can actually get rid of all the junk.
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby punkin8tor » Wed 2006 Jun 07 6:30

good luck w/ that! the only way I was able to get rid of spam completely was by accident. I clicked on the wrong thing that made it so I couldn't get into my e-mail account any more. So I opened up a new one and don't give that address to anyone but people I know. It is wonderful... now all the e-mail I get there is what I want to see!
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I'm not so sure about the former." Albert Einstein.
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Wed 2006 Jun 07 7:24

I use a free hotmail account when I subscribe to websites. Apart from the regular emails from these websites I have only ever had one item of junk mail in four years. I think it's because I chose a very odd email address... so non-conformity is a pretty good junk mail filter!
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2006 Jun 08 4:25

I have to agree with Luke, if you're signing up for an email account anywhere adding extra characters into you email address seems to stop a lot of spam where spammers are just guessing email addresses.

Characters such as underscores or numbers seem to work well, so rather than just mailto:johnsmith@provider.com try john_c_smith@com or john_54_smith instead.

...and of course, dont ever give your email address away!
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby cmptch » Thu 2006 Jun 08 9:25

true enough, as I said, it's an experiment to see how well it works. I'll be updating for about 2 weeks to see how well of a job it did. In a 24 hour period, I haven't received a single e-mail.

[edit] 70 hours since last mail.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby cmptch » Thu 2006 Jun 22 11:27

5 emails since my last update on 8 Jun 2006. those were companies that I had missed before.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to General Internet and Networking