Desktop turned on it's side, can't fix

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Desktop turned on it's side, can't fix

Postby babybell » Fri 2007 Nov 02 2:50

Ok, so I'm sure this is a simple fix but I can't manage to fix my friends PC, she's totally PC illiterate and has somehow fliped her desktop on it's side, meaning if you picked up your monitor and turned it on it's side you would be looking at the screen the correct way around.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix, I've checked the desktop settings and it's not just the Toolbar which has flipped as that can be pulled back down so I'm stumped????
babybell

Re: Desktop turned on it's side, can't fix

Postby Spock » Fri 2007 Nov 02 5:05

Have your friend hold down Ctrl + Alt + UpArrow to see if that will fix the orientation as some display adapters use that to switch the displays orientation. If this doesn't work, there are other possible remedies.

[Added]
Part of this topic has been split off as being irrelevant to the current discussion in an attempt to keep the discussion focused on a possible solution.

In order to give you better assistance it would help if you could give us some additional information such as:
  • The brand and model of the computer - we can then look up its specifications on the Internet.
  • The brand and model of the display adapter - see above.
  • Any other information about the hardware or software in use that you think may help to find an answer.

In the mean time, you may try the following:
  1. Right-click on a clear area of the desktop and select Properties from the resulting menu. This will open the Display Properties menu.
  2. Open Settings\Advanced,
  3. Search through the tabs to find a rotate display option.

This option has come due to the graphic card installed. The option should allow you to rotate the display back to its original orientation and may even allow you to set keyboard shortcuts to switch it without bringing up the Display Options menu which is probably how it got switched in the first place.

Obviously, if the above fixes your problem, we won't need all the information about the system in my first list. ;)
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General HW