computer specs to run dvd drives

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

computer specs to run dvd drives

Postby Colonia » Wed 2006 Aug 02 7:16

how do i find out the minimum requirements if for dvd drive?
If want to use it to watch movies
Colonia
Student Tech
Student Tech

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Aug 02 8:49

That mostly depends on the DVD software you use, and how well your computer functions.

The requirements are very cryptic, but here's what I've gotten:
400MHz cpu
128MB of system RAM
graphic card with 8MB or more video memory

This is the minimum recomendation for Cyberlink Power DVD 5, one of the most common DVD software players out there.

This shouldn't be taken as gospel though; I have seen no actual specifications, of course, I don't really look. Truth is, it really depends on how well your machine runs.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Aug 02 10:54

cmptch wrote:... Truth is, it really depends on how well your machine runs.

And, as with many things, the more system RAM you have, the better things will run.

I have also found that no matter what the minimum requirements, I at least double them. If you go with the minimum requirements, something may run but not as well as it would with the recommended requirements ... or more! :roll:
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Repr » Thu 2006 Aug 03 5:04

a dvd drive doesnt really have minimum requirements. the data transfer between a dvd drive and the pc itself isnt all that high, about as fast as from your hard disc inside your computer. the question is what you want to do. if you want to watch a movie youll need about 200mb ram to cache enough of the video to keep it streaming at dvd quality, but if you listen to mp3 from a dvd you just need about 5mb, enough to cache 1 song plus some more. as for the programs you use to watch dvd's or listen to music, that is added to the actual cache of the file you are playing with it.

for dvd's, try VLC media player. its free, its small and it works great. you can find it on any download site or in google
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Return to General HW