Beware of FAKE 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB USB Flash Drives on eBay

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 Jun 25 1:13

Ref: Beware of FAKE 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB USB Flash Drives on eBay

by: markme1061(private)

For those of you who don't mind if an item is a fake, as long as it looks real. Have you ever thought if it actually WORKS like the real thing? Or even works like it's supposed to?

Face it, a lot of people don't care that what they're buying is fake, as long as they can show it off as the real thing to others. But there is a real price to pay when it comes to USB Pen Drives. Your 2GB USB Stick, doesn't save 2GB at all! Think of it as 'virtual data'. Only 128MB is really saved, the rest is unstable. Sure, you look at it, it works great you think, but a few days of weeks down the line you cry obsceneties when you realise you've been duped!

Just type FAKE SONY 8GB (or whichever size you have, 2GB, 4GB), or FAKE SANDISK into yahoo or google and click search. Do it now, and then come back after you read. You won't be back for a while, there's plenty to read, plenty of cries, and I feel for them, I really do.

Below picture collection of many of the notorius Counterfeit USB Drives with Fake capacities ranging from 1GB to 8GB - this means they don't actually have 2GB when they say they do. They actually have about 128MB and have been programmed, very easily done I might add, to make it appear to have 2GB, or more, upto 8GB. You'll think you have 2GB saved on your shiny new 2GB USB Pen Drive, when in fact you are about to lose most of the files saved on it within a few days, or weeks. The hex data, as a result of unstable compression, eventually collapses and you'll only have 128MB left, out of the 2GB you saved. If you have a fake 8GB Pen Drive, the same applies to you. I am not the most technical, but I understand the basics, and all I really need to know is a fake 1GB, 2GB, 4GB or 8GB will only save about 128Mb, anything above that will only last a few days. Do you want to risk it?

Even if you buy from a UK seller, he or she may have themselves bought from the Far East, where most fakes originate. There is a company called iCreate that some countrefeiters particularly prefer as they manufacture very cheap flash memory, used in USB Pen Drives. The counterfeiters simply re-program a 128MB USB Pen Drive, and get a famous brand like Sony, or Sandisk printed on an outer case. It is very simple for them to do.

Hope this helps everyone to identify and avoid buying them!

Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Sun 2006 Jun 25 2:23

What will people come up with next? :?
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 Jun 25 4:41

Icy wrote:What will people come up with next? :?

Want to buy the London Bridge? }:->
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Repr » Mon 2006 Jun 26 4:03

Spock wrote:Want to buy the London Bridge? }:->

depends....how much? and does it work like it should?
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Jun 26 12:10

Repr wrote:...how much? and does it work like it should?

I will have to strike a deal with the current owners first and it works just fine. }:->
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Tue 2006 Jun 27 5:14

There is a myth I heard about an American buying London Bridge thinking they were buying Tower Bridge, then trying to sue the City of London for misrepresentation... :?
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Return to General HW