PCI EXPRESS

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

PCI EXPRESS

Postby sundragon » Tue 2005 Jun 28 12:15

I just found out that the new computers that i just got here at work dont have AGP for video, they have something new. PCI Express. I've heard that its better. well that says alot. any of you have a PCI Express video card? i would like to get some info on this. I do build computers for people and like to stay on top of things.
Thanks to all
sundragon
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 Jun 28 2:52

Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby iissmart » Tue 2005 Jun 28 4:59

PCI Express is the 'new technology', just like AGP is 'new' compared to plain PCI. It has a few versions, including x16 and x1. x16 basically is a longer slot on the motherboard and it is primarily used for devices that need a very high data transfer rate, like a high-end video card. x1 is for new devices that just want to use pci express, and it is generally a small slot on the motherboard. For example, my new gigabit ethernet card uses a PCI Express x1 slot, while my new video card will use the PCI Express x16 slot.

If you are getting a new motherboard, I would recommend one that is SLI capable with two PCI Express x16 slots.
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby sundragon » Tue 2005 Jun 28 5:56

I like the 3rd link down. im on page 3 and its fantastic. Thanks for the links spock and what do u think of your PCIe in yhour system iissmart?
sundragon
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Postby iissmart » Wed 2005 Jun 29 1:28

If you play high-end games that require good graphics and a fast computer, PCI-E is definitely the way to go. I love it, and it will definitely be the only way to go in the future. Thing is, the pricing tends to raise as the technology gets newer (I just recently bought a PCI-E video card on newegg for $600, but that was only because it is the best of the best of the best).
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Return to General HW