USB pen out of ink!

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

USB pen out of ink!

Postby Ben Last » Mon 2005 Mar 21 8:33

Hi, I bought a 256 Mb USB flash memory drive at Christmas, but yesterday I had a problem - when I went to copy data onto the drive, I got an error "Error copying file, Cannot create or replace [File]: The system cannot read from the specified device."

I have also had blue screens saying "Disk write error, unavle to write to disk in drive e:. Data or files may be lost. Press any key to continue."

It should have a capacity of 256mb, I get 247Mb useable space, but now can only write around 120mb onto it before getting these errors.

I have tried re-formatting it, to no avail. Also I tried running scandisk which said that it would "fix" the drive by marking the clusters (31675 onwards) un-useable.

I haven't done any extra-ordinary with it, and haven't removed it without first stopping it or shutting down the pc.
Is there anything I can try to get it going again? or do I need to take it back, as I've only had it three months!
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Mon 2005 Mar 21 9:38

I don't know which brand you are using or which OS but this link may help ... good luck! [;)]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Tue 2005 Mar 22 9:06

My drive is an "Attache" made by http://www.pny-europe.com
It seems odd as it's been fine for a couple of months.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 Mar 22 9:39

If a power surge occurred when it was plugged in, it might have gotten zapped. Is it under warantee?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2005 Mar 24 7:58

You could be right, would the psu generate a surge as the machine turns its self off?

Yes, its still under warranty. Just got the problem of finding the receipt!
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Mar 24 9:06

Ben Last wrote:... would the psu generate a surge as the machine turns its self off? ...

Any time power is turned on or off there is a surge. How big the surge is varies according to the components which determines the voltage and current of the surge. In some power supplies minor surges are shorted to ground before they can do any damage. In others ...

If you have a switching power supply, you shouldn't have much trouble there but it is still best to be safe and not leave your portable device plugged in when changing a power state.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2005 Mar 24 9:09

oh right, I didn't realise that. So sure advice would be to stop the device and remove it before powering down your pc?

They don't mention that in the manual!
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Mar 24 9:29

Ben Last wrote:...They don't mention that in the manual!

If it dies while out of warantee (most likely scenario) then you would either have to send it in to be repaired or buy a new one ... [:(]

BTW, if you got it from a halfway decent company, they will have a copy of your receipt readily available on their computers.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Mar 26 3:00

Spock wrote:BTW, if you got it from a halfway decent company, they will have a copy of your receipt readily available on their computers.

I bought it from 'Pc World' a large PC chain store here so I expect you're right.

Thanks for the advice.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby BTuckerx2 » Sat 2005 Apr 02 2:05

Ben...
I pray this message finds you in good health and exceeding joy in the savior...Most definately you will have to ensure that you first stop all activity to the memory stick drive. I've lost 2 of them because of pulling the stick out while information was being transfered(one of my children) [va] but for your information: make sure you correctly power down the memory stick just like we would use the start menu to shut down a computer. Good luck finding your receipt..

Peace,
Btucker
It is easier to mend children than fix broken men...
BTuckerx2
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Ben Last » Tue 2005 Apr 05 7:58

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

USB thumb drive

Postby rainbo » Fri 2005 May 13 9:49

If you are using XP then there's a setting to enable quick removal in the properties of the device.

rainbo

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 May 14 7:01

Thanks, thats useful to know.

I took it back this week, and they confirmed it was faulty and gave me a replacement.

Lets hope it lasts longer than the previous one!
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to General HW