Soyo Cigar Drive

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Soyo Cigar Drive

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:55

OK, I now have my new Soyo Cigar Drive Pro and have it just about figured out. If anyone else gets one, their Tech Support forum is located here, but seems to be staffed only by other users. :(

Fortunately, there is one knowledgeable user who has been able to answer almost all my questions, goes by the username of fxer. :D

[Added - 20040408]
I am going to try to keep this topic updated with the most useful information I glean from the SOYO Cigar Drive forum so that there will be a single place to look for all such information. This should make it easier on those user who are trying to help others since they won't have to search the SOYO forum for the multiple solutions.

To that end, I will also tend to trim away any non-essential, trivial, or otherwise off-topic posts so this topic should only contain useful information.

[Added - 20050302]
It appears I made the right choice to post this on my forum. The Soyo forum has beeen down now for some time. This topic may be the only surviving record of the information contained herein! [:O]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:55

Many people have had questions about the Cigar Drive. My response to a query about using it on a laptop follows:

PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card Industry Association) designed to give laptop and notebook computers an expansion capability. Currently only 3 standard types:

*Type I - 3.3 mm (RAM), thin card used for memory.

*Type II - 5 mm (I/O cards such as modems), thicker card used for interface adapters.

*Type III - 10.5 mm (hard drives),thickest card used for hard drives.

Currently USB ports come in 2 speeds, version 1.1 is 12 Mbps and is fine for use with the cigar drives. Type 2 is 480 Mbps (Million bits per second) or 60 MBps (Million bytes per second).

If you have further questions, try http://www.usb.org/ where you will be able to find all sorts of information, probably more than you really need.

Read about USBready, a utility to help determine if your computer will accept USB ports here ==> http://www.usb.org/faq/ans3#q1 and download the utility free from a link in the FAQ.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:56

I just found this post on the Soyo forum and am hoping someone, perhaps walts, would have an answer ready to hand before I go haring off to look for an answer.

attadmin
Starting Member
1 Posts Posted - 09/20/2003 : 09:08:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been noticed that is not possible to install cigar USB to a computer with Windows NT server OS, Is that true? I’m very interested in buy this device, please somebody answer me

luis_hac
Starting Member
1 Posts Posted - 09/30/2003 : 06:05:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as I know, Win NT does NOT support USB, period. I doesn't matter if you have the ports (hardware) NT does NOT support ANY USB devices.

Sorry

Spock
USA
115 Posts Posted - 09/30/2003 : 08:15:14
That doesn't seem right. WinXP is based on WinNT and it supported my Cigar Drive without installing anything extra.

Surely, Microsoft wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by denying support to a very popular device with a rapidly growing community.

I must do some research on this. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will look. If I find anything, pro or con, I will post here again.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

USB Support Under Flavors of Windows...

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:57

Walts wrote:USB Support Under Flavors of Windows...

Firstly, Windows NT 4.0 does not support Universal Serial Bus (USB) host controllers. There are no plans to provide USB support in Windows NT 4.0 in a future service pack.

Secondly. For more information about USB specifications, visit this Microsoft Web site.

This leads to thirdly (hey, I'm in a "ly" mood), USB Storage FAQ, which states in part: "The following Windows operating systems provide native support for USB mass storage class devices: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows 2000; Windows ME.

Note that while Windows NT 4.0 does not support USB, Windows Server 2003 does - and why should this be so?

Fourthly, and lastly ( :cool: ), looking at Product Lifecycle Dates, and then drilling down to the Windows Product Family (note the URL for that page uses square-brackets which are also used as delimiters in phpbb protocol (go figure), the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin ), we find the following:

Product Name / General Availability Date / Mainstream Support Retired / Extended Support Retired
Windows NT 4.0 Server 29-Jul-1996 31-Dec-2002 31-Dec-2004******
Windows NT 4.0 Workstation 29-Jul-1996 30-Jun-2002 30-Jun-2003
Windows 2003 Server 28-May-2003 30-Jun-2008 30-Jun-2010
****** Windows NT Server 4.0 incident and security related hotfix support is available through 31-Dec-2004. Non-security related hotfix support is available only through a custom support contract after 31-Dec-2003.

Simply put, Windows NT is 7 years old and at the end of its supported product life-cycle. As USB support is a "newer thing," if you want "NT" support for it, you need to "upgrade" to Windows 2003.

[yy]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:58

Thank you walts. I knew I could rely on you! :wink:

I have posted a link to this topic in the above mentioned forum, so we may see some extra guest visits over time.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:59

For those of our users who have the SOYO Cigar Drives, I have added an unofficial mirror for the support files located here.

Use at your own risk!

There will be no guarantee that the files are the most up to date and some of the files are no longer listed on the SOYO support site, therefore there may have been some problems with them.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:00

From the Soyo web site:

Topic author: bigbeagle
Subject: Tech Support phone number
Posted on: 12/31/2003 02:22:46
SOYO tech support is (510) 743-2000

I got good customer service when I called.

As a precaution, must do the following before using first time:
1. Partition
2. Format

This is done using the utility software. (See other posts for more details).
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:01

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=458
SOYO Cigar Drive forum
Title: Tutorial: How to initialize your CigarUsb
Author: Corvette Hunt
Posted: 12/30/2003 : 14:16:20
Reposted with permission.

This is written to alliviate many users frustrations when trying to use the CigarUSB for the first time. It deals with simple step by step instructions on how to install/fix your new device.

Problem:
Cannot Initialize/Install Device for the First Time

Cause:
Some devices where shipped out without being properly initialized at the factory. This causes Windows not to be able to recognize the device when first plugged in.

Solution:
1 - Download the EZRecover Software from:
http://www.pctalk.info/dl/cigar_devices ... rV2003.zip

[NOTE: The above URL was changed from the original to reflect a change in the web site.]

2 - Be sure your CigarUSB device is connected to the PC

3 - Unzip the file, and install the program.

4 - Run the program

5 - You'll notice that it will detect that it is a UsbFlashDisk, and it's disk size (256 mb, 128mb, etc.) That is your first indication that your device isn't broken. If it's not detected, then perhaps you'll be better off returning the device to where you bought it.

6 - Press the Recover button. It'll prompt a warning. Just go ahead. The lights (if visible) on your device will start blinking. That's your second indication your CigarUsb device is working.

7 - Once it finishes, remove your device and restart your PC

8 - Once it reboots, plug it back in. It'll start detecting it correctly and automatically configuring everything (in windows XP at least).

9 - Goto http://www.cigarusb.com/home/support.htm and find your CigarUsb model. Download the correct application tools software for it. (In my case, it's a Cigar2Pro - 256mb.).

10 - Install the software. It may ask you to reboot the PC. If it does, go ahead and do it.

11 - Once you reboot (if you where asked to), run the program: "USB Flash Drive Utility"

12 - It'll ask for a password. Just press OK

13 - You need to repartition your device. Press partition.

14 - Set how much memory you want for the secure partition (with password protection) and the standard one. In my case '0' for secured partition, 256mb for Standard. Press Start.

15 - Finally, you need to format your new partition(s). Press Format. Type in a label. Press Start.

Once it finishes, you can start using your device. You DON'T need to do this in every single computer you encounter. All this is only needed to be done the very FIRST time you use the device.

This tutorial is a compilation of works by other users and personal experience to make my own device work. I'm not to take any credit for making this thing work.

Hope you make it, and enjoy your device!

Corvette Hunt

p.s. Sometimes during installation, your PC will ask for a driver. Once you install the EzRecovery software, it'll be located under:

/windows/system32/drivers

Again, once the device is initialized, it won't bother you again for this driver on other machines.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:10

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=484
SOYO Cigar Drive forum
Title: THIS IS IT! Restore drive from 33MB to 64MB
Author: eureka
Posted: 01/14/2004 : 06:42:07
I found this on the tech support site of another USB Drive manufacturer. People with the same problem as adot111 (me included) will find this to work. Hope most of them haven't given up on this forum yet:

Q: The flash drive I bought says 64MB. However the actual storage space is only 34MB, or 0KB.

A: First, please backup any data on your flash drive. Please download the patch, SPGT-ERASE.zip ( http://www.macally.com/techsupport/driv ... -ERASE.zip ). Unzip the file and you will obtain a file called SPGT-ERASE.dat. Copy SPGT-ERASE.dat file to the flash drive. (Note: Make sure that you have “write-protect?switched off on the flash drive.) Then unplug and replug the flash drive and check if the capacity of the flash drive is 59.8MB. Prior to using the flash drive, it is recommended that you format the flash drive on a Windows computer to “FAT?

I have not personally tested this fix but there are several posts following the initial post that idicate it works. The download file indicated above may also be found here.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:11

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=579
SOYO Cigar Drive forum
Title: security device problem solved!!
Author: Patricio
Posted: 04/10/2004 : 10:06:36

at last i got the key on what happend to my cigar 256

1. download ez recovery
2. unzip and install the file (dont run it yet)
3. make that windows detect the new hardware (plug the cigar)
4. when detect "security device found" prompt to manualy find the drivers windows/system32/drivers a file called "pl2125"
5. install the driver
6. run ez recovery (it should find your cigar)
7. enjoy your cigar (formated...)

ok i hope to havo no more problems bye!

EzRecover may be found here.

Link to this post
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:14

A question has arisen about using the Cigar Drives with Linux, so I did a search of the fora and came up with the following links, most of which appear to be at least marginally useful:

Using Cigar Drive with Linux

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=251
title: Linux Boot to Cig@r Pro?

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=470
Title: cigar 2 pro under mandrake linux 9.2

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=410
title: Problem getting Cig@r Pro 2 work under RedHat 9

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=329
title: Cigar 2Pro and Linux

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=113
title: the device is too slow on linux

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=128
title: Linux driver

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=106
title: Linux's users

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72
title: LINUX

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61
title: Some question about booting, securing and linux

[Added - 20050302]
Note: Of course, now these posts are presumably lost since the Soyo site is down. [:(]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:14

From the first link above ...

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=251
Author: millisa
Posted 06/03/2003 : 13:27:34
The dirty step by step thumbdrive boot using Syslinux -Aaron Millis 2003.06.02

WARNING: This step by step is written off the cuff and you could seriously damage your setup if something goes wrong.
Use this info at your own risk.

I am going to use win98 and Linux (RH9 since I have it on my laptop) to setup a simple thumbdrive boot.

This is not cigar pro specific and should work on any thumbdrive (or floppy, or usb storage device).

Syslinux (http://syslinux.zytor.com) is used to boot all sortsa stuff and can give you a lot of flexibility when booting off your removable device.

I like using this so I can choose between different boot options when using my thumb drive.

So, first thing you are going to want is a win98 boot disk. We aren't really going to use this to boot (though it is good to prove the floppy you make does indeed work ahead of time); we just want this to grab the boot sector off of.

Once you've got a 98 boot disk created, the next thing we want to do is pop it in your linux box. We want to extract the 512 byte boot sector off it so we can use it if we want to boot into a 98/dos type OS.
I'm going to assume you only have one floppy, which is usually /dev/fd0.

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=win98.bss bs=512 count=1

Run that. It'll grab your boot sector off whatever's in the floppy and write it to a file in the current directory called win98.bss
(If you've been futzing with linux, you are probably very familiar with DD for disk creation).

That win98.bss is your win98 boot sector from the floppy. You could do the same thing with an old dos6 disk; just use a different file name (dos6.bss sounds good).

Ok, we've got the boot sector; lets grab stuff off the floppy.

Make a directory to hold the win98 files that are on the floppy. I'm going to put mine in ~/win98floppy
Mount your floppy (mount /dev/fd0 should do the trick)
Copy the stuff on the floppy over to your directory (cp /mnt/floppy/* ~/win98floppy)
Unmount the floppy, we are done with it (umount /mnt/floppy)

Ok, now lets go wreck havoc on your beautiful new thumb drive.

I'm going to assume you are using one of the newer linux versions that's got USB support compiled in. I'm not going to go into how to make Linux read usb devices since most of the new stock installs of the most popular kernels will do this.
Go ahead and plug in the Thumbdrive. Assuming you are on an IDE based system with no other SCSI devices, the thumbdrive usually maps at /dev/sda (just like a scsi drive).
You can verify where it went by checking out your messages file in /var/log/messages
What I would do is start a tail on the messages file (tail -f /var/log/messages) and then plug in your device and watch it.
Use ctrl-c to stop tailing the file.
You should see it detect a new USB device and one of the lines will look something like this:
kernel: SCSI device sda: 129024 512-byte hdwr sectors (66mb)
(I am using a 64 mb device for this example).
See the 'device sda' part? Thats what your usb device mapped to. In this case, /dev/sda.
If you already have scsi drives, this would probably be something like sdb or sdc.

First, lets clear off everything thats on the thumbdrive. We are going to use linux Fdisk for this . . .
I can't say it enough; be sure you are comfortable with this stuff, typing the wrong stuff here could cause problems.
Startup fdisk and specify the thumbdrive device name:
fdisk /dev/sda
You will be put at a prompt that says 'Command (m for help):'
First check out the partitions on the device by typing 'p'
You should see something like:
/dev/sda1 1 252 64496 6 FAT16
(the numbers will be different depending on your device).
Whatever is there, we want to get rid of them to start with a nice clean device.
(ie, for some/most thumbdrives you may be ruining the warranty).
This is going to DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE DEVICE.
To delete the partition just hit 'd'.
When you print the partition table with 'p' again, you should see an empty list.
Once you've got it clear, lets make a new FAT16 partition.
Hit 'n' for new partition.
You want a primary partitation 'p'.
You want the partition number to be '1'.
The first cylinder should be '1'.
The last cylinder should be default (the biggest number on the device).
You'll be back at the command prompt, hit 'p' to check out your new partition.
It'll now show /dev/sda1 as an ID83 Linux partition.
We want it to be FAT16, so hit 't' to change the partition system id.
The partition type you want is FAT16 which is code '6'.
When you hit 'p' to print the partition table now, you should see a FAT16 type on /dev/sda1.
Ok, we've got what we want, lets commit the changes (last chance to save your data here).
Hit 'w' to write the partition table.
You'll probably see messages about rereading the partition table and resynching the disks and you'll be back at your shell prompt.

Ok, we've setup a brand spanking new FAT16 partition on the device, lets go setup the file system.
Type: mkfs.msdos /dev/sda1
(this part may be different according to your Linux flavor. If this doesn't work, find out how to make a fat/msdos file system in your flavor).

Ok, we've got a blank thumbdrive, empty file system, and lotsa files, lets make it boot with syslinux.

syslinux is installed by default on most of the popular versions of linux; if you don't have it though, it can be downloaded from syslinux.zytor.com
To install syslinux on the device, just type:

syslinux /dev/sda1

Ok, now lets mount your thumbdrive backup and move some files over to it.
First, make a place to mount it to. I'm going to mount mine at ~/thumb (so, make this directory; mkdir ~/thumb)
Now, mount the drive:
mount /dev/sda1 ~/thumb
If you have problems with the mount command, check to be sure you can mount fat16 file systems with your setup.
Look in the ~/thumb directory, all you should see is a ldlinux.sys file that syslinux put there.
If you don't see that file, you've done something wrong.

Ok, lets copy over our win98 files and the bootsector.
cp ~/win98floppy/* ~/thumb
cp ~/win98.bss ~/thumb

Ok, we are almost there!
Now, we need to configure syslinux to know about the boot sector sitting there for it.
Edit ~/thumb/SYSLINUX.CFG with your favorite editor (i'm going to use pico because I like it; joe, vi, emacs, whatever floats your boat)

This is what you want in the file:

default win98
prompt 1
timeout 600
label win98
kernel win98.bss

Ok, lets test this puppy out.
Unmount the thumbdrive (umount ~/thumb)

Disconnect your device and lets try it in the system you are trying to boot from it.

It should give you something like the following when it starts booting:
SYSLINUX 2.00 2002-10-25 Copyright (C) 1994-2000 H. Peter Anvin
boot:

At that boot prompt, type your label name (win98) or just hit enter to use the default.

You should see it start booting 98.

The hardest part of this all is just *getting* it to give you that syslinux prompt. Once you've got that, you can boot anything you want using more label in your SYSLINUX.CFG file.
(this is one of my current SYSLINUX.CFG files that lets me boot between 98 and various compiles of linux)
default win98
prompt 1
timeout 600
label win98
kernel win98.bss
label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 vga=788
label rh9
kernel vmlinuz2.420
append initrd=initrd2.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 vga=788
label linuxnfs
kernel vmlinuz.nfs
append nfsroot=192.168.176.100:/tftpboot/plexi ip=192.168.176.11

Again, none of this is cigarpro specific.
I personally have this working on cigarpros, AVB thumbs, and Butterfly drives;
there isn't any reason it shouldn't work with iomega or linksys type drives too.

Much credit to H. Peter Anvin for syslinux.

URL for this post
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:16

ref: http://www.cigarusb.com/sfVersion/topic ... PIC_ID=627

Here's a new post. I didn't recognize the proceedure, so thought I would add it.

Posted by: fcermak
Posted on: 05/25/2004, 00:32:06
For all the frustrated buyers of this product out there (and we are legion), here is how I got my Cigar Pro 128MB to work on Windows 98SE. DO NOT PLUG IN THE USB DRIVE UNTIL I TELL YOU TO:

1. From the installation disk, there are two folders labeled: "Ps1006c" and "Sunplus." Open the folder named Ps1006c. Ignore the Sunplus folder.

2. Open the folder labeled "DRIVER(WIN98&WIN98SE ONLY)." You will see several files in this folder. Double-click on the "Setup.exe" file and let the installation program run. Once it's finished, REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER! I think 95% of the problems people ran into is that they did not reboot after installing the drivers.

3. After rebooting, CONNECT THE FLASH DRIVE TO THE USB PORT (or use your extension cable that came with it). Windows should recognize the new hardware and you'll see the "building driver information database screen." Windows found the drivers itself; I didn't have to do anything here.

4. Once that is finished, go to your MY COMPUTER and you should see the new Removable Drive in your list.

YOU MAY HAVE TO REFORMAT THE DRIVE BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT. When I installed mine, it said only 315k were free and I couldn't copy files to it. Reformatting fixed this.

5. In MY COMPUTER, right click on the Removable Drive and left-click on FORMAT. You'll get the format disk screen. Choose FULL format (not the "quick erase." Give the drive a label if you want. Once the drive is formatted, you should get a screen that tells you to run scandisk on the drive to make sure you can copy data to it. I did this and recommend it; only took about five minutes.

6. Click on START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > Scan Disk. Choose the Removable Drive. Select a "Thorough" scan. Once it runs, go back to MY COMPUTER and single-left click on the removable drive. It should say 123MB free space and you can now copy and delete files.

I did not install the Tools (located in the Sunplus folder I told you to avoid earlier). I don't need any of the tools, and I can unplug the device anytime without having to "eject it" first. I haven't run into any problems using for the last week now.

I hope this helps some of you! I won't really be checking back at this forum to answer questions or anything. Just wanted to share what worked for me. Good luck!
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 1:17

ref: Sony Microvault Problem in WinXP

New information, this time from a non-SOYO forum:

daveaclayton

How to fix the winXP Sony microvault 'security device' problem

I have been trying for 3 months to find a solution to this problem. I now have a working Microvault usm256u2 device. AND my original data still intact.

Here's how to do it on WinXP:

1. Unplug the Microvault

2. Download the following file...
http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor...sp?fid=27979548

This is the Prolific "PL-2515 USB 2.0 Portable USB Flash Controller EZRecovery Tool" There are other files on this site, but this is the one that fixes the problem.

3. Run the file and install the software (note this also installs the drivers that allow the 'Dead' microvault to be recognised as a 'security device'.

4. Plug in the microvault. (XP recognises it as a security device and installs the appropriate drivers)

5. Run the Ez-Recover program. (it should then recognise the size of your device, though it will think it is a 'prolific' one.

6.Ensure that you are prepared for the machine to RESET itself before you Hit the 'Recover button'.

7. Whilst the machine reboots, un-plug the microvault

8. When the machine is up and running, insert the microvault. (the machine should recognise it as a USB device and will load the USB drivers, as normal). In my case the original data was also left intact!

Hope this works for everyone else!
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General HW