Dell Hell?

Hardware discussions that do not yet fit into one of the current Hardware fora.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Dell Hell?

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Mar 02 12:46

Ref: http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html

I've exclusively used Dell computers for some years now, but that seems to have ended. As you might expect, I run my computers pretty hard since I work 10-14 hours/day, seven days a week to bring you True and other stuff, so I get a new one every three years or so. I decided to switch to laptops all the time, so I gave my desktop to my new assistant and ordered up a new Dell. After finally getting it all set up the way I wanted, all was well for a few days until I came into the office, pushed the power button to get started ...and nothing happened. It was the Tuesday before I was to leave the country -- early the next Monday. "No problem," I thought: the one time I needed service Dell was there for me, and I did pay extra to upgrade my service contract on the laptop.

After spending the requisite hold time and doing everything the tech asked me to, including taking the computer half-way apart, he declared what was obvious to me from the start: a tech would have to come out to fix it. I told him time was short as I was leaving the country. He assured me the tech would call by noon the next day and make an appointment to come out. I was relieved; I canceled a few appointments so I could be home, but by 3:00 or so the next afternoon it was pretty obvious that no one was going to call. I got back on the phone and back into the hold queue. I was finally told there was no way a tech could get to my house that day -- and there never was a chance of it. I asked to talk to a supervisor; I needed to get the thing fixed! The customer service rep promised a supervisor would call back the same day. My wife was dubious: call customer service, she said. I did ...and was told there was an "issue" with the motherboard of my computer; replacements were not available. Uh oh. I again asked for a supervisor, and was again told I could expect a return call the same day.

This customer finally received satisfactio from Dell but at what price? Please read the entire article before using this post to make up your mind on anything.

millisa wrote:The problem with Dells desktop support and customer support is they outsourced it . . . little of the consumer class stuff is handled in the states anymore . . . I like Tandori chicken as much as the next guy (mmmm, tandori chiiiiicken) but I don't want it having anything to do with my support.

Unfortunately, they *still* haven't enabled the outsourced-overseas tech groups to really *do* anything to help the customer. They don't provide them good info on the service levels and practices, they make it very difficult for the techs to decide when to replace a piece of equipment, and the training . .well . . . it is hit or miss depending on who you get on the phone (they aren't all bad. Really.).

They moved their server/business class support back to the states quickly (there was more than a slight backlash . . hey look! we didn't buy any more servers from dell!); here is hoping they either bring the consumer class back or at least enable their outsourced shills.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby TarThoron » Fri 2005 Mar 04 10:33

The above picture does not neccessarily express my opinion on dell computers. I simply felt like posting it, since it isnt entirely off topic.
Learn something about everything, and everything about something.
TarThoron

Return to General HW