Speaker hookup for PC

Discussion of anything external to the main system case as well as those bits and pieces that are so often added after a system is purchased.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Speaker hookup for PC

Postby Saber » Fri 2006 Apr 21 1:12

I just changed from my old 2-stereo spker. setup to a 2.1 system in the hope of getting some better base response w/ the Sub-woofer. Well the right and left spker. play even better than my old ones, but my base spker. just whispers no matter how high I turn the bass volume knob? I installed a 24 bit Creative Sound card that I had been using before the switch, so I'm pretty sure that's working fine. I did the XP trouble shooter to no avail? I did notice that under the setup panel under spkers. in control panel that it listed every setup except 2.1? eq. it listed stereo spkers in all types ... then 5.1,7.1 etc... I figured it's plug and play so not sure that is a big deal unless that means it won't support 2.1? I've got everything plugged in right, and everything goes through the Bass spker. so if the other two spkers. are working right why not it too? Tonight I'll try hooking them up to another device to see if they will work, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Saber
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Apr 21 2:59

I've never used a 2.1 system but I can make some generic sugestions.

It may be your sub-woofer connection on the sound card has slightly corroded contacts due to never being used before. Try unplugging and replugging the plug several times to see if you get any improvement.

There may be some problem with the circuitry in the card. You could take the speakers over to someone who has a 2.1 or higher sound system to test the speakers. You might even be able to convince someone to test your sound card in their system with their speakers but you would have to find someone who has a sound card instead of a built in sound system on the motherboard to make sure there was no conflict.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Fri 2006 Apr 21 8:58

Just another thought, have you checked the filter on the sub-woofer? The cut-off frequency could be set too low.
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Sun 2006 Apr 23 4:06

Either that, or have a hearing test! ;)
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to Peripherals