AMD vs Intel

Discussions related to entire computer systems; which are best to buy, to use, to scrap. Also, discussion of the internals of the system console including CPU, cooling systems, motherboards, BIOS, etc.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

AMD vs Intel

Postby Spock » Thu 2006 Aug 10 11:10

Ref: AMD vs Intel

Found this Lockergnome article to start off a discussion on the merits and possible problems of processors from two of the main PC CPU providers.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Fri 2006 Aug 11 6:02

Well, I find the article not presenting usefull information. I see only the irritation of the consumers finances.

I found out that the Intel 915 chipset does not support the Intel P4D processors, something that really does not make a lot of sense to me.

No, the 915 Chipset, does not support the Pentium D. The 915 was designed for the Pentium 4 with HT Technology in mind. WHy does it make sense? The chipset was designed before the Pentium D came out. Why upgrade a new chipset when it is cheaper to produce a newer chipset?

I personally don't prefer Intel Chipsets. I would take most VIA chipsets over intel. Nvidia for the Pentium D is, in my opinion, the way to go.

If ATI and AMD are to be one in the same, so much the better for the gamer. Nvidia's pixel shading has never been up to the standards of ATI, and it shows when you buy a pixel shading card, just look at the price.

In performance of a graphics card, Nvidia has the upper hand over ATI, however, in graphics capabilities it is hands down ATI.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Aug 11 10:24

cmptch wrote:Well, I find the article not presenting usefull information. ...

Of course it has, it's started a discussion. ;) Now we only need everyone else to chip in. 8-)

BTW, I won't be referencing any more Lockergnome articles as they have so many ads on the page now that it edges out the useful content when forced to view the pages on the small screens we have in the classroom. :?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Systems