The Speed Trap Exchange

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

The Speed Trap Exchange

Postby Spock » Tue 2008 May 27 9:08

Ref: http://www.speedtrap.org/

The police may be out in the open, hiding behind bridge abutments, or passing overhead in an airplane. Driver after driver is issued a speeding ticket that results in exorbitant fines, points on their driver's licenses and insurance surcharges. If only there was a way you could share your knowledge of speed traps, in exchange for the speed trap knowledge of others. Well, now there is!
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: The Speed Trap Exchange

Postby cmptch » Sun 2008 Jun 01 12:37

I would be a fourth generation truck driver if I wanted. I don't, but it seems that I have a leg up on the driving front. When I go on a trip that's more than an hour, I like to have a CB Radio in the car with me. Truckers are all over the place, and most of them carry a radio for road hazard information, (e.g. Location of smokey, which lane they need to be in during construction.) You can get up to date information to the exact mile marker (yard stick) on all police cruisers on the road, and sometimes outdated information, such as if I was heading from Cincinatti to New york, There's always a driver who can give me the location of every coupe he's seen betwwen me and my destination.

Of course, you do have to put up with the babble and sometimes nonsense that goes on, but that's what the squelch is for.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2008 Jun 01 4:47

Some time ago I switched from permanent mount to removable. I used to carry a CB with me everywhere, now it's just too much trouble to put it in the car. I still have my old SSB CB that I modified from it's original (15?, 23?) channels to the maximum allowable + 2 or 3 due to the way the crystals were set up, all with upper and lower bands. When new, it cost a pretty penny. Now you can get a standard CB for less than $50, including antennae.

Some things do improve with age. ;)

[Added]
I just went to look for it to give the exact number of channels available and couldn't even find it! Guess it has been a while. Must try to remember to look in the garage/workshop next time I'm out there to see if it's in storage.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Sat 2008 Jun 07 3:45

The first CB I had was given to me by my father, who got it from my favorite uncle for me. It was a 23 Channel Midland Base. We set up an 8 foot mobile antannae on top of an old T.V. Antannae pole. It's still standing there, with no CB hooked to the Coaxial Cable still running into my "radio room".
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2008 Jun 07 11:35

That's it, mine was a 23 channel modded for 40+ channels. I used to talk, using one of the side-band channels, to Hawaii from Albuquerque, NM when the skip was exceptionally strong. This was back in the mid 70's from around mid 73 until mid 76 while I was going to college there.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Discussions