Global Warming?

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

Global Warming?

Postby Spock » Thu 2007 Mar 22 6:32

Do you think we are currently going through a period of global warming and that something drastic needs be done?

Do you believe that all this Global Warming panic is bunk?

No matter who you are, you might be interested in this little test.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Tue 2007 Mar 27 4:03

I'm more concerned with U.S./Cuban relations so I can smoke a Cuban Cigar than I am with Global Warming. My High School teachers, although liberal, were required to use sources other than the usual one-sided data found in the text books. I already know that Global Warming is a natural cycle.

I'm actually thinking about going up to Canada for a good Cuban. Naturally I won't bring it back, but I just may drive up there for an hour or two to smoke myself a Cuban cigar. Untill then, I'll stick with the top shelf, Cuban-Seed, Monte Cristo brand.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Re:

Postby Luke » Tue 2007 Jun 19 11:26

10/10 on the test.

cmptch wrote:I already know that Global Warming is a natural cycle.

Then you should know that at the current point in the various cycles, we should expect a stable temperature, with slow decline then a more rapid fall off over the next few millenia. The current increase in average global temperature can partly be accounted for by including other natural phenomena into models. Eg volcanic emissions can account for the 1930's "dustbowl". However the only way to account for the increase in the latter half of the 20th century is to include radiative forcing from so-called "greenhouse gasses". I am a physicist, so if anyone wants to argue the causes of global warming and the various feedback effects then I'm your man. Another misconception however is that ice-caps are melting. There is an increase in freshwater run-off from Greenland and other places within the Arctic circle yes, but Antartica in contrast is currently experiencing a net gain in ice mass. There is a lot of misinformation about "Global Warming" or climate change as scientists refer to it, from both perspectives.
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Re: Global Warming?

Postby Uhura » Wed 2007 Aug 29 10:31

Pretty cool site about global warming...will explore it some more!! Always good to learn some FACTS!
Sometimes you feel like a nut
Uhura
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Global Warming?

Postby Spock » Mon 2009 Nov 09 12:19

This seems to be a fairly popular topic considering the number of posts about it ... though never in the same topic! :roll:

There is a poll => here <=.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Discussions