Iraq veteran gets bill after injury discharge

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Feb 03 6:00

Ref: In debt to his country

In debt to his country

By Amy Hatten

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Tyler McWilliams thought he'd retire from the Army when he enlisted for a six-year commitment as a reservist during his junior year in high school.

He spent the summer break of that year sweating it out in basic training. Four days after receiving his diploma, the 2000 Moffat County High School graduate officially was inducted. He later served as a heavy equipment operator in the 244th Engineer Battalion under Hayden's Staff Sgt. Mark Lawton, who was killed when the convoy he and McWilliams were traveling in was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade north of As Suaydat, Iraq.

McWilliams can still point out the places on his arms and face where shrapnel from that attack is lodged.

McWilliams carries the scars of battle and three years of service in Iraq, but he came away from the experience with something more -- a bill from the Defense Department for more than $3,000 and 30 days to pay it.

Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby punkin8tor » Thu 2005 Feb 03 2:49

That is a shame upon this country. This man willingly risked his life to defend us and the USA makes him pay for his medical bills?!
I wonder: Is there a contribution site for him? Can people help him w/ his bill so that the entire amount doesn't have to lie on his shoulders?
Last edited by punkin8tor on Thu 2005 Feb 03 2:55, edited 1 time in total.
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Feb 03 2:54

Yes it is a shame and I sincerely hope it gets corrected before it becomes a burden on him.

I would not recommend donating anything to anyone like this. You have no idea what their situation is and there is no guarantee they need the money ... as much as others more deserving of help, like the tsunami victims.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby punkin8tor » Thu 2005 Feb 03 2:57

Ah well. It is the thought that counts, right?
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby GingerSnap » Tue 2005 Feb 08 2:39

Surely that 's a mistake - a terrible admin. blunder? Since when do military members have to pay for their medical expenses from injuries suffered in the line of duty? There has to be more to this story.
GingerSnap
Forum Admin's Boss!
Forum Admin's Boss!

Postby Uhura » Sat 2005 Feb 12 7:00

This does sound VERY crazy! Has this been verified as being a true story? It does not make sense; there must be more to the story.
Sometimes you feel like a nut
Uhura
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Discussions