Fully Modded Forums - FYI

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

Fully Modded Forums - FYI

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Aug 28 7:09

The problems with my Fully Modded Forum finally became so bad that I decided to remove it completely and try with a completely fresh copy.

I was in the process of removing the old files when I found that I did not have the correct permissions to remove certain files! :O

I tried deleteing the individual files ... no go.

I tried changing the individual files permissions ... no go.

For anyone with a Fully Modded forum, the files and folders I had problems with are listed below. I will be contacting my host to have them remove the files and folders and will think twice before installing it again.

Sorry, that means the games are gone for now. :cry:

Root ForumFM
.. Modules
.. Modules\admin_statistics
.. Modules\admin_statistics\module.php

.. Modules\language
.. Modules\language\lang_english
.. Modules\language\lang_english\lang_modules.php
.. Modules\language\lang_german
.. Modules\language\lang_german\lang_modules.php
.. Modules\language\lang_italian
.. Modules\language\lang_italian\lang_modules.php

.. Modules\most_active_topics
.. Modules\most_active_topics\module.php

.. Modules\most_active_topicstarter
.. Modules\most_active_topicstarter\module.php

.. Modules\most_viewed_topics
.. Modules\most_viewed_topics\module.php

.. Modules\posts_by_month
.. Modules\posts_by_month\module.php

.. Modules\stats_overview
.. Modules\stats_overview\module.php

.. Modules\top_posters
.. Modules\top_posters\module.php

.. Modules\top_posters_month
.. Modules\top_posters_month\module.php

.. Modules\top_posters_week
.. Modules\top_posters_week\module.php

.. Modules\top_smilies
.. Modules\top_smilies\module.php

.. Modules\users_by_month
.. Modules\users_by_month\module.php
Last edited by Spock on Fri 2006 Nov 10 2:12, edited 1 time in total.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 Aug 28 6:22

I had the same problem when I tried phpbbfm. I think it was due to some minor file corruption, you may be able to overwrite the file, then delete the new one. It's always worth a shot.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Aug 28 6:39

I was finally able to remove the offending files but I had to do it through the Host Control Panel. It just seems exceedingly strange that I could delete everything else through FTP but not the listed files. }:-<
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Tue 2006 Aug 29 5:01

I had to do that as well, I wasn't sure if your host offered that. I tried a couple other modded phpbb installations and had the same results.

Now, whenever I have a lot of files to purge(over 1000) I go through the host's file manager. It's so much faster than than ftp for me anyway. Delete within seconds instead of 30 minutes.

Just wondering if you have seen the upcoming phpbb release? Personally I think it's too feature rich for me. I like simple and eloquent. I'm always willing to setup test installations and preview stuff since I have nothing better to do with my time.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Tue 2006 Aug 29 8:29

cmptch wrote:... Just wondering if you have seen the upcoming phpbb release? ...

No, I haven't. I enjoy Beta testing and have even helped Alpha test once or twice but I never seem to be in the right place at the right time any more. :?

I will probably wait until they release the "final" version before I get to see it.

I would like to find something I can just install that would allow those of my students so inclined to play simple games but phpbb-AMod never seems to work when I install it and now phpbb Fully Modded, which contains phpbb-AMod, has died I'm back to square one.

There's a lot I would like to make available for my students (and other forum members) but there is always something that causes it not to work out. :(
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Aug 30 3:38

Spock wrote:There's a lot I would like to make available for my students (and other forum members) but there is always something that causes it not to work out.

I know what you mean. I'm trying to get some cool stuff for an extended family site going, but I can't seem to find anything. Since I don't program I can't just write it. I've been experimenting with different CMS's to see what they have to offer, but, alas, I just can't find anything I like that will be user friendly. The issue I come up with is: I want to have an address book.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Aug 30 10:07

There is a gaming Mod located at http://phpbb-amod.com/ if you can get it to work. I would recommend starting from an unmodified phpbb forum. When I tried, my forum was already heavily modded, so I couldn't get it to work.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Discussions