You and him

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

You and him

Postby Spock » Tue 2006 Jul 25 8:08

Your alarm goes off; you hit the snooze and sleep for another 10 minutes.
He stays up for days on end.

You take a warm shower to helpYou wake up.
He goes days or weeks without running water

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.
He gets shot at, as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

You put on your anti war/don't support the troop’s shirt, and go meet up with your friends.
He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

You make sure you’re cell phone is in your pocket.
He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags.

You talk trash on your "buddies" that aren't with you.
He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.
He walks the streets, searching for insurgent and terrorists.

You complain about how hot it is.
He wears his Heavy gear, not daring to take off his Helmet to wipe his brow.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.
He does not get to eat today.

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.
He wears the same things for months, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.
He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

You are angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.
He is told He will be held an extra 2 months.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for that night.
He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.

You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.
He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.
He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet.

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.
He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own government and remembers why He is fighting.

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of the men like him.
He hears the gun fire and bombs.

You see only what the media wants you to see.
He sees the bodies lying around him.

You are asked to go to the store by your parents.
You don't.

He does what He is told.
You stay at home and watch TV.

He takes whatever time He is given to call and write home, sleep, and eat.
You crawl into your bed, with down pillows, and try to get comfortable.

He crawls under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be awakened by gun fire.
You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse place because of men like him.

If only there were more men like him.
If You support your troops, don't send this on...

Tell them where to read about it and help save Internet bandwidth!
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Tue 2006 Jul 25 10:16

That post reminds me of my service, some of which I cannot talk about.

I graduated Basic training on 22 Sep 2001. I can remeber formation two days earlier. It was dinner time. The Company commander whom we had only seen a few times made a speech informing us of the attacks. He said that Family day (for those fortunate to not ship out on the 23rd for more training) might be canceled as well as graduation.

Luckily, by the time we went to bed, they worked out a way to proceed with graduation, as well as family day. As graduation came, we wondered if we would be able to see our buddies again. Most I have never seen, a handful I have seen on duty, and one I have seen his name on a casualty list.

My Parents were there to see me graduate basic, and I wouldn't see them again for over 2 years when I was discharged. They wondered why I was so tired on family day untill I told them I had lost 6 hours of sleep doing guard duty.

Advanced Individual Training was no picnic either. We had a myriad of gaurd duties to perform. I opted out of leave to serve my country.

I was stationed in Korea May of 2002, and wouldn't see a pay check untill september that year. My first assignment there was camp page, Korea, about 22 Kilometers from the North Korean Border. I made a number of trips to old DMZ and wondered if my grandfather had seen that sign.

I volunteered for extra guard duty, we experienced high threat conditions my entire tour of Korea. I was known to have worked for 72 straight hours to cover for lack of manpower due to cutbacks in the Armed Forces. My first day at work I recieved a Certificate of Appreciation for "outstanding dedication to mission support".

I was then moved to Seoul where my talents could be put to better use. I was placed on a 12 hour night shift, where we also had duties to be performed during the day. This gave me and my SGT a 2 hours rest between 5 and 7 A.M. when the entire post did Physical Training. Two soldiers to do the job of 5.

I spent my off time traveling the country, volunteering for habitat for humanity, visiting religious sites, learning about Korea, and Tutoring English. I donated blood to save dying soldier.

I watched people protest against me. I've been kicked, spitted upon, one group on a train tried to kidnap me. I've been kicked out of resteraunts.

I will never forget what an artillery general told me in a bar one night as we played a game of darts. He had gotten it on a website or e-mail. (the text between the *'s is censored) "When you get back home and you see a protester, walk up to him, shake his hand, smile, and tell him your a vet. Then wink at his girlfriend, because she knows he's a *wimp* too".
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Jul 26 12:21

I try not to talk about my early (Viet Nam era) military days any more. More days go by now without me feeling some kind of pain from the memories. They will never go but distance makes them easier to take.

I'm sure that as you grow older and the distance between old happenings and the present increase, you will also find a lessening of pain.

I like the way Israel handles their military, 100% required military service ... just in case. I think if everyone were required to serve in some form or other, there would be less problems. Of course I may be wrong but it would sure solve some problems.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Uhura » Wed 2006 Jul 26 2:07

Forwarded this to Donnie's Capitol Airwing Group site...it was much appreciated!
Sometimes you feel like a nut
Uhura
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Hootowl57 » Thu 2006 Jul 27 7:54

It was July 1958 and I was enjoying a night on the beach in Cannes, France, just drinking beer on the riveria. The shore patrol rounded us up and sent us back to the ship (USS Saratoga). We sortied to patrol off the coast of Lebanon. THAT WAS 1958 and there we are again today! Nothing much has changed over there, just the names and faces of the participants. Over the years, I have always wondered, when will this bitterness and hatred in the Middle East stop? Never?
I agree with Spock. I think we would be better off with 100% required military or public service for our younger generation.
Until then, our future generations will continue to say, "I am Coming" and always have something that is difficult to forget.
John A
Hootowl57

Postby punkin8tor » Thu 2006 Jul 27 8:54

Wow. That is an incredible poem, Spock. And cmptch: Thank you for your service to our country. Unfortunately, I am begining to think that some people in the country are undeserving of your service. :( But I am very appreciative. I am sorry that you have been treated so... It says nothing good about your country men.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I'm not so sure about the former." Albert Einstein.
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Discussions