ATM Scam Alert

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

ATM Scam Alert

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Jun 19 9:05

This may not be an appropriate place to post this but it can't hurt. I got the following in the last newsletter from my Credit Union and I'm sure the same trick would apply to any ATM. Read on:

ATM Scam Alert
from PENAIR Gram October 2002

The latest ATM scam involved thieves putting a thin, plastic "sleeve" into the ATM card slot. When you insert your card, the machine can't read the strip, so it keeps asking you to re-enter your PIN number. Meanwhile, someone behind you watches as you tap in your number. Eventually you give up, thinking the machine has swallowed your card and you walk away. The thieves then remove the plastic sleeve complete with card, and empty your account. The way to avoid this is to run your finger along the card slot before you put your card in. The sleeve has a couple of tiny prongs that the thieves need to get the sleeve out of the slot, and you'll be able to feel them. We would like to get this out to everyone. Please pass this onto your friends, and be on the alert.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Mon 2006 Jun 19 4:34

In the UK people actually create fake fronts for cash machines that go over the front of the machine, so that when you put your card in the magnetic strip is read by a circuit in the fake front and the information can be used later to steal your cash.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Uhura » Wed 2006 Jul 26 5:13

Scary! :? Thanks for the tips!
Sometimes you feel like a nut
Uhura
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Discussions