Board Ethics

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

Board Ethics

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 May 07 5:30

I've been looking at board rules lately, which is rather uncommon for me. I've yet to be kicked off a board or chat, and I follow a few simple rules.

Rule #1 The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Unless you like to be treated meanly, than just be nice.

Rule #2 Do not argue with a moderator or admin. A disagreement is one thing, however an argument can be viewed as an undermining of authority. When in disagreement you can pm the mod in question. If there is no solution the mod can go to the admin. If there still is no agreement, the mod is always right.

Rule #3 Flaming is only fun when it's just for fun, as viewed by both sides. Flaming should only be done in an area where flaming is allowed.

Rule #4 Chatting should be left out of forums. Chatting in forums leads to unnecessary length, and uses a lot of bandwidth. I've seen a chat progress so far that it slowed an entire database drastically.

Rule #5 If your unsure where your post should go, read the posts in the suspected forums to see if that's where it should go. On a support board, you may find the answer your looking for and not need to post.

Rule #6 On a board that is not extremely active, post as much as you can. It let's the other members get to know what kind of person you are, and leads to friendships.

Rule #7 Refer to Rule #1

I recently set up a forum for my extended family to get together on, and I will be posting rules for them to use. so any recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

Rule #2 Modified from wisdom by Krank.
When in disagreement you can pm the mod in question. If there is no solution the mod can go to the admin. If there still is no agreement, the mod is always right.
Last edited by cmptch on Mon 2006 May 08 2:26, edited 2 times in total.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Re: Board Ethics

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 May 08 1:07

cmptch wrote:I've been looking at board rules lately, which is rather uncommon for me. I've yet to be kicked off a board or chat, and I follow a few simple rules.

Rule #1 The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I have no problems with any of them but have found that if I want to get along better then I need to "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them." Sometimes the way you would like to be treated is not the way they would want to be treated. ;)
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 May 08 1:32

Rule #1 The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Unless you like to be treated meanly, than just be nice.

this is a little better, eh?
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Krank » Mon 2006 May 08 2:17

Personnaly for rule two i wouldnt go for that ....

If i dont agree i should be able to talk about that, like in a friendship.
Might want to go; when in disgarement you can pm the mod in question, if there is no solution the mod can go to the admin, if then there still is no agrement, the mod is always right.

Gives peeps a change to voice there disagrement, but will take it out of public.
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank
Honored Achiever
Honored Achiever

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 May 08 2:30

krank wrote:If i dont agree i should be able to talk about that, like in a friendship...
Gives peeps a change to voice there disagrement, but will take it out of public.

I agree with that. I had used my own personal rules as a starter, and your input is better as a forum wide rule.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 May 08 4:26

What you both might want to do is take a look at my Forum Posting Guidelines that are listed as a link in my signature. I am always looking for ways to improve the information there, so am open to suggestions.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 May 08 4:35

I've actually found that the Guidelines are well organised and rather complete. And if it's not posted there, than there is another location you have placed it.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to Discussions