Computer Store Ripoffs

A place for logical, dispassionate discussions of world or local events.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Everything here is viewable even if you are not registered, so please no foul language, flaming, or trolling.

Computer Store Ripoffs

Postby cmptch » Sat 2006 Apr 29 4:27

We had a lady come to our store a few weeks ago to get a system repaired. Apparently she had been to another guy and apparently he fixed it just enough for her to access e-bay. This lady was not the nicest when she came into the store, and she wasn't too happy with our recommendation to erase the hard drive and start from scratch. We did convince her that that was the best option. We completed the job, and the next morning we received a call from her. She thanked us profusely, and even sent her daughter down with a computer. A few weeks later she called us again, yelling (literally) that we didn't do a good job. We walked her through a few modem setttings, and she was up and running in no time.

There may not seem to be a point to this story, but here it is: everytime we talked to this lady, she mentioned in a not-so-subtle way about the last "guy she had work on her computer". One bad circumstance had destroyed her perception of all computer techs.

All techs out there have to be careful. Attention to detail counts on several levels. Politeness and courtesy are keys to lasting customer relations. My company advertises just to say we did. When we ask a customer where they heard about us, it's always word of mouth.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Apr 29 12:07

Ok, now I have to ask, what is the name of the company you work for?

I used to work as a Customer Service Rep for Circuit City and my experience was that most customers just want something that works but some customers work any angle they can as hard as they can to get something free.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Mon 2006 May 01 1:24

I work at We Are Computers, inc. a small time operation in a small town. and yes, most people try to work an angle with us as well.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to Discussions