Cannot access Internet Options in Windows IE v7

What your computer and you "use" to "do" something, in your computers "native-language."

Moderator: Software Moderators

Cannot access Internet Options in Windows IE v7

Postby Spock » Mon 2008 Jan 21 8:19

1. Run Windows Internet Explorer,
  2. Select Tools,
  3. Select Internet Options,
  4. Get error message: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

• Yes, Microsoft misspelled "canceled",
  • Yes, I am trying to access the option from an Admin account, in fact, from the same account it was installed under,
  • Yes, I can access it via the Windows Administrator account but should not have to.

I have not done any research on this problem yet as I thought I would publish it first. When I find the reason/solution, I will come back and post it here.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Cannot access Tools in Windows Internet Explorer v7

Postby Spock » Mon 2008 Jan 21 8:23

Ref: http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/browser/i ... tions.html

OK, found a possible answer right away. I do use Spybot Search & Destroy, so will see if that is the problem. If it is, I don't understand why it wouldn't work as it has in the past. It used to work with no problem at all and why would it work under the Administrator account regardless of Spybot?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Cannot access Tools in Windows Internet Explorer v7

Postby Spock » Mon 2008 Jan 21 8:37

OK, it turned out not to be a restriction on Spybot after all. I had to edit my registry to regain use of Tools\Internet Options. If you have the same problem, make sure you close Internet Explorer before you make the registry changes and start a new instance of Internet Explorer after to test or it won't seem to work.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Applications/Clients