How can I backup ...

What your computer and you "use" to "do" something, in your computers "native-language."

Moderator: Software Moderators

How can I backup ...

Postby Spock » Thu 2007 Dec 06 3:40

Q: How can I backup the information on my hard drive?

A: This question was raised recently by one of our members who had failed to make a backup and consequently lost a lot of important information when they reformatted their hard drive.

If you are using Microsoft Windows, there is a simple backup routine available. I find it easiest to access via either My Computer or Windows Explorer. The following procedure works at least through Windows XP. I do not have immediate access to Windows Vista to be able to determine if it works the same or not.
  1. Make sure you have enough media (floppies, tapes, CDs, DVDs, etc) to hold all the data you want to backup,
  2. Open either of the above programs and right-click on the drive you wish to backup,
  3. Click on Properties in the resulting menu,
  4. Click on the Tools tab,
  5. Click on the button "Backup Now" button.

Q: But what do I do if there is no "Backup Now" button!?

A: Some OEMs have decided that they want to complicate your life further by removing the Backup option from the Tools tab mentioned above. If that is the case, your only option is to:
  1. Check in Start\All Programs to see if your computer provider has installed their own backup program,
  2. Contact your computer provider to find out how you are supposed to backup your computer if they have hidden the #@$%ed backup program,
  3. Simply use copy and paste to create a 'backup folder' and then copy its contents to your backup media, (my option of choice) or
  4. Buy a third party backup program.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: How can I backup ...

Postby Krank » Thu 2008 Jan 10 8:36

Or if windows is making you going nuts a good alternative is http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ wich i have "tested for the street :ugeek:
I can honestly say, its good, its free, the trial anyway and this one works great, so for peeps who are looking into it, its definitly a must see ;)
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank